Monday, October 6, 2014

The Adventure of the Homicidal Automatons, Part the Third


This is a Sherlock Holmes story I wrote a few years ago, set in an alternate London where the British Empire expanded into the reaches of outer space. Will be posted in chapters on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Scroll to the end for chapter list.


           I did not accompany Holmes to the other mechanics, choosing instead to go back to Baker Street and catch up on the day’s news and the stack of medical journals that had been sitting on the floor for two weeks. Holmes returned much later than I expected him, staggering into the flat and dumping the MAID in a corner. He collapsed into his armchair and requested that I bring him his pipe and tobacco.
            After the pipe was smoking comfortably, I ventured to inquire as to whether he had got a second opinion.
            “Yes,” grumbled Holmes.
            “And?”
            “He was unable to find any damage.”
            “Ah.”
            “Neither could the one after him.”
            “You went to another?”
            “Nor could his successor.”
            “You went to a third mechanic?”
            “And a fourth. And a fifth. And a sixth.” Holmes admitted this belligerently.
            Six mechanics? No wonder you’re fagged out. And none of them found a thing?”           
             “Nothing. Six of the best mechanics in London, all men, and not one could find a cause.” Holmes stared into the fire.
            “What! Then Miss Morstan…”
            “Was perfectly correct in her analysis.” Holmes shook his head. “I’m missing something, Watson.”
            At that moment, we heard a commotion on the stairs. A young Martian police officer burst into the room, severely winded. His rust-coloured forehead glistened with sweat and he brushed a few loose strands of his elbow-length purple hair, tied back in a “ponytail”, from his eyes. “Mr. Holmes, sir? Lestrade needs you urgently!”
            Holmes sat up. “What is it?”
            “Another robot murder, sir! Not ten minutes ago!”
            Holmes leapt to his feet. “Quick, Watson!”
           
            We dashed into the house within a quarter hour, having run all the way there. The Martian lad fairly collapsed on our arrival, but Holmes, barely pausing to catch his breath, strode into the house. “Where?” he demanded of Lestrade.
            Before Lestrade could answer, however, Holmes cocked his head and motioned for silence. In the stillness that followed I heard a door closing in another part of the house. Holmes bolted towards the sound, leaving the police officers standing puzzled in the hallway. I followed him to the back of the house, where we dashed out the door and scrambled over the fence. Holmes pointed at a figure, sprinting away down the street.
            “There! He escaped when all attention was turned to our arrival!”
            We started running after him. I noticed Holmes draw his revolver, and I resolved to flip out the knife in my hand when I could do so without fear of cutting myself.
            We ran through the murky streets of London for what seemed an hour, growing ever closer to our prey. He led us all the way down to the banks of the foul-smelling Thames, where we all three slowed, for there was much fog that night and none of us wanted to fall in. The man kept us in a merry dance around a blackened warehouse, darting just out of sight behind the boxes and barrels.
            I believe we nearly had him then, in the dark of night. He seemed to be lurking behind a large wooden crate. Holmes crept towards it, his gun drawn, his footsteps as light as a Martian’s. (Martians, as I can tell you from experience, are extremely quiet on their feet.)
            I noticed then that the customary whirring of my arm had changed subtly in pitch. Glancing at it, I was surprised to see that the knife had folded out. I thought I must have done it unconsciously until my arm began to move.
            I did not direct it, and indeed tried to hold it still, but to my horror the mechanical limb shifted, of its own accord, so that the blade of the knife was against my own throat!
            “Holmes!” I whispered. “Help me!”
            Holmes whirled around, irritated, but his expression changed to puzzlement when he saw my predicament. “Watson, what on earth are you—”
            “I’m not doing anything! It’s doing this on its own!”
            Holmes’s eyes widened and a low chuckle resonated from behind the crate.
            “Not entirely on its own, I think, Doctor Watson.”
            Holmes turned back, his gun pointed directly at the source of the voice. At the same time the blade pressed harder into my throat.
            “Do drop the gun, Mr. Holmes. We wouldn’t want someone to get hurt, would we?”
            “I don’t know,” responded Holmes calmly. “I should very much like to see you hurt.”
            I felt a trickle of blood slide down my neck.
            “Holmes!”
            He set the gun on the floor.
            “Kick it away,” commanded the voice. Holmes scowled and sent the weapon spinning into the darkness. The pressure of the knife eased.
            “Thank you. Now, we can talk.”
            “Who are you?” Holmes’s voice was taut with anger.
            “You needn’t know my name if you cannot deduce it.”
            “What do you want?”
            Our unseen foe laughed again. “I think the question for you is rather, ‘How am I going to get it?’ You’ve already seen the effects of my little contrivance here.”
            Holmes glanced at me and nodded slowly. “It controls mechanical devices remotely.”
            “Precisely.”
            Holmes nodded again. “And you are building a bigger one. The monographs on Spence’s walls. The books. Theories of electrical impulses and remote controls.”
            “Very good! A little too good, in fact,” said the voice. “I shall be going now. I advise that neither of you move or attempt to follow me. That would have most unfortunate consequences. For you, that is.”
            The figure emerged from his shelter and started off towards the entrance of the warehouse. He paused a moment and said, “It is only through my mercy, of course, that you do not lie dead at this moment. I could easily kill you both. But what satisfaction would that give me? No, Holmes, I think it will be much more gratifying to leave you alive for now, so that you can witness my greatest triumph, my rise to infinite power, and, after I have control over every robot, airship, locomotive and bionic limb in England, you shall be able to despair and know that I beat you before I strike the fatal blow.”
            “A nice touch. One would almost believe that you are actually carrying a weapon.”
            Our foe stiffened, as if in irritation. In the darkness he was indistinct, but I caught a gleam of metal from the device he held. “Until we meet again, Mr. Holmes…” he said softly, turning to leave.
            We waited in tense silence as he walked away. After what felt like an eternity, my arm began to obey my commands once more. It jerked away from my neck the moment he had left the warehouse. The knife folded itself away. I sat down on a nearby crate, pressing my tie to my throat to stop the bleeding.
            Holmes ran to the end of the warehouse and looked after our foe. “He took a boat. There’s no catching him now,” he reported, coming back to help me. “Watson, are you all right?”
            I nodded wordlessly, although I felt far from well. My arm—my own limb—had been taken from my control and been forced by another as a way to hurt, or even kill me. A part of my body had been under another’s control. The raw sense of betrayal would take some time to fade, and I doubted I would ever fully trust my arm again.
            “Why did he not carry a weapon?” I asked after a few minutes, when I had regained some of my composure.
            “He was over-confidant in the abilities of his machine,” responded Holmes, “and expected that he would be able to get away more easily than he did. Why he did not simply kill us with your arm, I do not know, but I think that his melodramatic speech was at least partly true. Megalomaniacs of his sort often lust for fame.”
            “Why couldn’t he get away? He had half an hour before we arrived.”
            “He had disguised himself as a human servant. I suppose that house must have a few.” (Human servants were much more rare these days, as much of the lower classes had been shipped off to start colonies on other planets, but there were still a few household functions that required a human to carry them out.) “He was making his escape with what he took—I presume you saw the shoulder-bag he carried?—when his victim made some sound and he was intercepted. There was enough of a commotion that his presence was not spotted, but he could not get away until we arrived and the attention was focused elsewhere.” Holmes took my arm—my natural one—and guided me to the door. “Come. We should examine the crime scene while we have the chance.”
            

No comments:

Post a Comment