Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Adventure of the Homicidal Automatons, Part the Eighth

Sorry for the late update. I was visiting colleges and didn't have time to publish it earlier.

And now, the penultimate chapter of our exciting adventure!

This is a Sherlock Holmes story I wrote a few years ago, set in an alternate London where the British Empire expanded into the reaches of outer space. Will be posted in chapters on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Scroll to the end for chapter list.


“Are you quite certain this is a good idea?” I whispered to Holmes at eleven o’clock that night.
            Holmes shushed me and peered into the darkness. It was a cold, foggy night, and I shivered as I pressed myself flat against the outer wall of Buckingham Palace. I flexed my mechanical fingers nervously and foolishly wished that Miss Morstan had accompanied us. But no, I chided myself, it was better that she, a fragile woman, remain in her home during this most dangerous operation, although it had taken Holmes and myself the better part of two hours to convince her so.
            Beside me, I sensed Holmes tilting his head. “Something is wrong,” he whispered. “Where are the guards? There should have been a patrol just now.” My friend hastened towards the gates of the palace, with me hot at his heels. The entrance to the palace itself was alarming in its complete lack of guards.
            Holmes raced through, halting just beyond the mighty gates. I heard cries and the sounds of vigorous fighting coming from the courtyard. Holmes started once again for the mighty building. “That is merely a distraction. Quick, Watson!”
            We ran into the darkened palace and dashed through several rooms. Holmes stopped and held out his hand. “Watson, do you feel anything odd in your arm?”
            I looked at it and flexed it. “No.”
            “Good. The device I constructed is working, then.”
            “You mean the device Miss Morstan constructed.”
            Holmes grimaced and motioned for silence. The device in question was clipped to my upper arm, to prevent it from receiving any signals besides those from my shoulder.
            We journeyed through those royal halls, Holmes padding silently and me keeping as quiet as seemed humanly possible. Holmes led the way, suddenly breaking into a sprint as we neared our villain’s target. He burst through the door to the anteroom of the jewel case, his modified revolver in hand. “The game is up!” he cried, but then he started, frowning, for there was no villain to be seen.
            I perceived motion in the corner of the room and cried out. In the next moment, a MAID had flung itself upon Holmes and two more were advancing towards myself.
            I pulled out my revolver and, seeing no other option, shot one of the unfortunate robots through the cranium. It sputtered down in a grinding of gears, but the other was still wheeling towards me at an alarming speed. I ducked as it aimed a deadly blow at my head and I knocked it over to the side where it struggled to stand.
            Suddenly I felt the gears in my arm move against my will. But this time the gears stopped when I commanded them to.
            “Villain!” I cried. “Your foul device will not work a second time!”
            “We shall see,” responded a deep voice, and the gears once again moved.
            It appeared that Miss Morstan’s device did not work quite as well as we had hoped.
            Exerting all my will to stop my arm from moving, I ran to help Holmes but was hampered by the MAID I had knocked down, which had regained its balance. The subsequent skirmish was made all the more difficult for me by the fact that I was also struggling to keep my arm under control. I glimpsed Holmes grappling now with the other human in the room but I was unable to give him aid; indeed, I would have welcomed aid myself. Battling mechanical servants while one’s arm is disabled is nothing to laugh at. Two more MAIDs had joined the first three, one helping Holmes’s adversary and one joining me.
            While Holmes held his own, I must confess that I was overwhelmed. One of the MAIDs pinned me to the floor while the other raised the large pike it held, obtained from I know not where, and prepared to stab me through the heart.
            Helpless, I braced myself for the deadly blow.
            I heard a small noise from the doorway and the MAID holding the pike abruptly jerked, cogs grinding unpleasantly as it underwent a conflict of intentions. The pike imbedded itself in the floor just to the right of my head and in broken tones the robot said, “Commen/men/mencing emergency/cy shutdown/own/own.” Its head dropped to its chest and a click signified its death. The MAID that had been holding me to the ground rolled neatly to its feet and began straightening the debris of its comrades.
            I clambered to my feet and was glad to see that the MAID fighting Holmes had also desisted, allowing him to gain the upper hand on the human villain. Then, turning to the doorway, I beheld a most astonishing spectacle: Miss Morstan stood there, a shining rectangular device crackling with energy in her gloved hands!
            “Miss Morstan!” I cried. “How have you come to be here?”
            “Watson!” Holmes, having rendered his foe unconscious, raced for the room beyond the anteroom we stood in. Miss Morstan followed him and I her, but Holmes abruptly halted in the doorway.
            “Too late!” he cried, and indeed, the case containing the crown jewels had been smashed and the crown itself taken!
            “How is that possible?” I exclaimed. “We halted the villain in the anteroom!”
            “That was not the mastermind, merely the minion,” said Holmes grimly, running back into the corridors of the palace. “He held us off while his master got clean away in the commotion!”
            “Leaving his henchman to the mercy of the guards,” commented Miss Morstan.
            Holmes turned and stared at her. “What are you doing here?” he asked, incredulous. “You were told to stay at home!”
            “Would you prefer it if I had not come when I realized that Doctor Watson’s device could not possibly block the signals at close range?”
            “You are female! You should not have come!”
            “If I had done as I was told, Watson would be dead!”
            “She did save my life,” I admitted reluctantly. Holmes looked at me in astonishment before shaking his head and running towards the palace entrance.
            We were waylaid by the guards, who had stopped fighting each other and run to see what the commotion was. Holmes took charge. “Quick!” he cried, “the villain went this way!” Dodging their confused questions, he dashed into the street. Miss Morstan and I followed with a few apologies and promises of a later explanation. I do not think the guards considered this sufficient, but they were disorganized enough to allow us to slip away.
            Holmes immediately lit upon a piece of fresh manure as evidence of which way the mastermind had made his escape. He glanced about the street and rushed to a mechanical coach that was parked by the palace wall. “Morstan! Open this!”
            Miss Morstan hurried to unlock it, having the key in her pocket. I now recognized the coach as the same one she had been repairing when we first met. Holmes climbed into the driver’s seat and released the brake. The coach began rolling forward incrementally.
            Miss Morstan joined Holmes in the seat to his left, while I sat in the back. The mechanic frowned at my friend as he grasped the vehicle’s tiller. “You do know how to drive a mechanical coach, Mr. Holmes, don’t you?”
            “It can’t be all that different from a traditional one,” said Holmes, stomping on the accelerator.
            The old mechanical coaches were, as I have mentioned, extremely difficult to drive. They had a tendency to weave from side to side on the road, and they were steered by means of a tiller, which made turning the contraption disobliging and dangerous. To my knowledge, Holmes had never attempted to steer one before.
            The coach shot forward, throwing us back into our seats. I dearly wished for something to secure myself with, but the wretched thing had no safety harnesses or anything of the like. I was reduced to clinging desperately to the side of the carriage as we raced through London at dangerous speeds. The few nighttime passersby leapt out of the way as we passed.
            Holmes jerked the tiller far too hard as we barreled into a square. The coach spun, the wheels screeching and throwing up sparks. The noise of the engine was so loud as to be nearly intolerable.
            “For God’s sake, Mr. Holmes, let me drive!” cried Miss Morstan, clutching her seat so as not to be flung out.
            “No! I am getting the hang of it,” growled the detective, pounding the accelerator. Between bouncing from the cobbles and trying not to let my dinner resurface, I caught sight of a regular coach ahead of us.
            “Slow down!” shrieked Miss Morstan. “You’ll kill someone!” A street urchin proved her point by diving for cover, barely avoided near-certain death.
            The carriage ahead was at full gallop now. It swung around a corner and Holmes followed, throwing us into the doors. We were now running near the Thames, which drove my panic to greater heights. Dying was not something I wished to do that night, and falling into the Thames would mean my certain demise, weighed down as I am by my arm. I noticed at this point an alarming rattle coming from the left side of the carriage. Peering as best I could in the dark and bumpy ride, I got an impression of the problem: One of the wheels was loosening. “HOLMES! CAUTION! PLEASE!”
             We were going at full tilt now, far faster that the vehicle had ever been meant to travel. The tyreless wheels caught at every cobblestone, jostling us wildly and increasing the difficulty of steering for Holmes. I saw the carriage ahead of us suddenly turn down a side street. Holmes cursed as we shot past, unable to risk turning. “Never mind!” he cried, “they must follow the river. They are merely trying to—”
            Ahead of us, a cab and four trotted into the middle of the road. Holmes slammed his foot on the brake, but the mechanical coach did not stop until it was not six feet from the horses, screeching unpleasantly. Glancing at the wheel, I saw that it was almost off. I tried to warn Holmes, but before I could speak he once again accelerated. The coach rocketed forward, pedestrians running. It was truly a miracle that we injured no one during that terrible ride.
            A few streets later, once again a coach came in front of us. But this time, instead of braking, Holmes pressed the accelerator. My head snapped back and I was unable to see what was happening for a few moments, but Miss Morstan explained later that the horses spooked and reared, about to bolt. Miss Morstan instinctively threw Holmes aside and stamped on the brakes. The mechanical coach screamed, the loose wheel finally detached, and our vehicle skidded around several times before slamming into the side of the carriage, knocking it clear over on its side.
            I am quite sure that none of us would have survived had Miss Morstan not had the presence of mind to cry “Jump!” as she deployed the brakes. Holmes and I leapt over the sides onto the cobbles, with Miss Morstan following a moment later. I therefore was able to watch the fearful crash not as a victim, but as an observer. The driver of the carriage was not quite so lucky, but he too lived. He was thrown off his seat and one of his legs was caught under the toppled carriage, cleanly breaking the bone.
            We picked ourselves up off the pavement once the two vehicles had ceased movement, besides that of the panicked horse, dragged down onto its side but not seriously injured. Holmes ran to the fallen traditional carriage. He wrenched the door open and gave a cry of anger. Looking over his shoulder, I saw that the carriage was completely empty.
            “Holmes, do not tell me that this was the wrong carriage!”
            “It was the correct carriage, but our foe was wily, Watson. He leapt out in the backstreets and is even now making his way down the Thames! There is no chance of catching him now! I should have seen it immediately!” Holmes groaned and turned away from the coach in disgust.
            Hearing cries from the bystanders, I hurried to help the fallen driver of the traditional coach. Finding that his injuries, although serious, would heal easily, I called out for someone to summon an ambulance. Holmes and Miss Morstan were, meanwhile, climbing about the fallen vehicles, examining them. It was Miss Morstan who, climbing inside the carriage, gave a cry of surprise. “Mr. Holmes! Look at this!” she cried, holding up a bag which evidently carried something angular and heavy.
            Holmes ran to her side and, snatching the bag and reaching inside, brought forth the Crown itself!
            “Aha!” he cried, “our pirate has left his prize! He could not safely jump from the carriage while carrying it, so he sacrificed his treasure for the sake of his own well-being! Well done, Miss Morstan!”
            At that moment, the ambulance which I had requisitioned arrived. I will spare the gentle reader an account of the questions and answers that followed, the lectures Holmes received from the police, and the arrest of the carriage driver except to say that Miss Morstan and I solemnly swore to each other never to let Holmes behind the tiller of any vehicle at any time in the future, no matter what the circumstances. We had most thoroughly learned our lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment